Buttery Egg Puffs
Flaky and buttery pastry encases a spicy mixture of onions, tomatoes and a hard boiled egg. Egg puffs are found in almost all bakeries in the non-vegetarian regions of India and are also sold on journeys with Indian Railways. Serve these at any party, with a side of your favourite sauce, and we guarantee you that the platter will come back empty and you will have been accosted for the recipe by numerous guests.
- 4 eggs, hard boiled, shelled & halved
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp of any spice of you choice
- 2 tsps of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbs coriander, finely chopped
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- Egg wash
- Boil 4 eggs and set aside. When cool, shell eggs and cut in halves lengthwise.
- Heat oven to 180° degrees.
- Place a frying pan on low heat, pour in 3 tablespoons oil and add the sliced onion.
- Raise heat to medium high and fry onion till golden brown.
- Now stir in garlic, ginger, spice of your choice (we used our Jhalfrezi spice), tomato sauce, sea salt and 1 cup of water.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium high.
- Uncover and stir till the mixture is dry then stir in the coriander.
- Spread mixture onto a plate and divide into 8 parts. Allow to cool.
- Take 2 Puff Pastry sheets out of the freezer. Allow to thaw for about 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut each of the Puff Pastry sheets into quarters. You now have 8 squares.
- Spread one part of the spicy mixture in the middle of one puff pastry square, place an egg on top
- Wet the edges of the pastry with egg wash.
- Gather the four corners of the puff pastry and seal the parcel by pressing with your fingers. Place on previously lined baking tray.
- Repeat the filling of the other puffs.
- When all 8 egg puffs are on the baking tray brush them with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes till golden brown and serve warm.