A classic combination with Cholé (use our Chickpea blend)
- To a mixing bowl add 1 ½ tsp sugar and 2 tsp dry yeast.
- Now slowly mix in ¾ cup lukewarm water. (I usually mix with my fingers so that the yeast is thoroughly dissolved.)
- Cover with a lid and set aside for about 10 minutes – till the mixture is frothy.
- Now pour in 2 cups of plain flour, ½ tsp salt, 1 tbsp ghee/butter and 2 tbsp of curd/yoghurt.
- Knead well for about 5 minutes.
- Cover with a lid or thin muslin cloth.
- In about 30 minutes the dough should double.
- Line a serving dish with paper towels
- Divide the dough into quarters and then 3 each so you end up with 12 equal balls.
- On a floured board, flatten and roll out each ball – about 5” diameter.
- Heat oil on medium high, then fry the bhatura.
- When golden on both sides remove with a slotted spoon and place in a dish lined with paper towels.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: if you prefer not to deep fry, once you roll out the Bhatura roast on a Tawa/frying pan. You will end up with a Naan like roti. You can play with this dough - add 1 tsp Ajwain, Fennel or Nigella seeds it will make your roti sing.