If you love the fragrant luscious flavours of a a Laksa but are afraid it contains shrimp or fish sauce this recipe is for you.
The rich umami flavour comes from mushrooms and Tamari in this recipe. With the addition of spice and delicious coconut milk you have a hearty broth base for your favourite Asian greens, some squelchy fried Tofu puffs topped with a chilli oil and bean shoots.
Don’t be daunted by the various steps the dish comes together quite quickly and you will be rewarded with a fragrant and wholesome meal.
This recipe is loaded with fresh veggies, thickened with potato, made creamy with coconut milk and to top it all off - garnished with fragrant condiments and a squeeze of lemon for that extra tartness.
If you haven't already started started licking your lips (we have, admittedly), then maybe something is wrong?
1) Prepare the veggies:
- Boil 2 medium sized potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces
- 100g bean shoots – rinse and set aside,
- Slice finely 100g Shitake (or any mushroom you prefer),
- Measure out ¼ cup fried shallots (available in most Asian supermarkets. These are for garnish and are optional),
- 200g fried tofu puffs – chop in halves
- 2 stalks fresh coriander or Vietnamese mint washed and finely chopped (garnish).
- Wash and bash the white bits of 2 Lemongrass stalks.
- Separate the leaves of 1 bok choy and wash.
2) Boil the noodles
- Check instructions then cook 300g Rice or Hokkien noodles
- Divide into 4 serving bowls and set aside.
3) The soup:
- Heat a heavy based casserole dish then add 2 tbsp vegetable oil and 1 finely chopped onion. Fry till translucent.
- In 1 cup of water, mix together 2 tsp crushed garlic, 3 tsp grated ginger, 2 level tbsp Malaysian curry powder. Add to the onions.
- Stir-fry on medium heat till the water evaporates.
- Now add 400ml coconut milk, the lemongrass stalks and 1 litre vegetable stock.
- Bring the stock to a boil then add the previously sliced mushrooms. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Now stir in the boiled potatoes, boy choy leaves and tofu puffs.
- Add 1 tbsp Tamari Sauce, 1 tbsp Siracha sauce, 2 finely sliced fresh chillies (optional) and 1 tsp palm sugar. Adjust salt or chilli to taste.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, allow the flavours to meld
- Fish out the lemongrass stalks when ready to serve.
- Place the bean shoots over the noodles
- Pour the vegetable soup over the noodles.
- Garnish with fresh coriander/Vietnamese mint and a squeeze of lemon (optional).