Tofu Tortillas with a Strawberry Salsa
Here’s a meat free Monday idea, for 4, for you that’s tasty and nutritious.
- In a glass bowl mix together 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar, ½ tsp salt, 1 finely green chilli (optional), ½ finely chopped red onion.
- Now slice 250g strawberries (1 punnet) and stir into the bowl.
- Top with 2 tbsps freshly coriander leaves.
- Set aside till ready to serve.
- Slice a 250g block of Tofu into 12 slices and marinate in 2 tbsp Soy/Teriyaki
- Heat a pan, then add 2 tbsp oil and 1 small finely chopped onion.
- Fry till translucent then add 1 level tbsp Thai Mussaman spice, 1 tsp freshly chopped garlic and 2 tbsp coconut cream (optional).
- Place the marinated tofu in the sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
The Tortillas (makes 12) Mix in your favourite kneading appliance or by hand.
- In a large mixing bowl measure out 560g plain flour, 340ml hot water, 40ml (2tbsp) vegetable oil, 1 ½ tsp salt.
- Rest for about ½ hour.
- Divide into 12 equal balls.
- Lightly flour the board then roll out each tortilla.
- Heat a tawa or crepe pan on medium high.
- When heated, place a tortilla on the pan.
- Move it around for about a minute then flip - you should see small brown spots on it.
- Do the same on the other side.
- Place in a dish lined with a paper towel.
- Cover with a tea towel to keep warm.
- Continue to roast the others then serve immediately.
Assemble Tortillas at the table.
*If you prefer it crispy bake in an oven heated to 190C for 15 minutes prior to adding to the sauce.