SABUDANA KHICHDI / KITCHARI - Sago Risotto
Sago Khichdi (4 serves)
This may be a popular dish during certain religious fasts, but it also retains its popularity as a healthy breakfast or tiffin item. Enjoy a steaming mug of masala chai along with the khichdi.
- Rinse 1 cup sago. Then soak in a glass bowl overnight or a minimum of 5 hours.
- Boil 2 potatoes, peel and dice.
- While the potatoes are boiling dry roast ½ cup peanuts (we usually use the ones with the skin on). Then crush coarsely with a pestle.
- Drain the sago, then add the previously roasted and crushed peanuts , 1 tsp rock salt, 1 tsp sugar.
- Heat a pan then add 4 tbsp peanut oil or 2 tbsp ghee and 1tsp cumin seeds and stir-fry till for a few seconds, till they turn a little darker.
- Lower the flame, then stir in 1 finely chopped green chilli, 1 tsp grated ginger and 8 curry leaves. Stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the sago and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. When the sago starts to become translucent it is cooked.
- Turn off the flame, and then add 1 tsp lemon juice (optional) and 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves.
NOTE: we sometimes use ¼ cup of freshly grated coconut as a garnish.