RECIPES - Sweets
GOAN PANCAKES (Alle Belle)
These delicate pancakes are a delight, especially on Shrove Tuesday which signals the end of all treats for 40 days. As you can tell, I was brought up in a strict Catholic household.
You do not need a pancake mix for this simple but delicious treat, just a little time and lots of love.
1. Beat together 2 eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar. Add in 3 cups of water and slowly blend in 2 cups of plain flour.
2. Heat a 20 cm (8") pan.
3. To fry the pancakes use very little oil. (We usually cut a potato in half, skewer with a fork and drip into oil then smear the pan with the oiled potato).
4. Use a soup ladle to pour in batter. Turn the pan around, simultaneously, so the pan is coated evenly with the batter.
5. You only need a few seconds to cook these - once you see a few air holes appearing flip to cook the other side.
6. Use all the batter and stack the pancakes to be filled later.
1. De-husk 5 green cardamom pods. Grind these seeds and empty into a medium mixing bowl. To this add 312 g. freshly grated coconut and 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar
(the Goan palm sugar is dark like coffee but you can use whatever is available).
Lay a pancake on a plate then place about 2 tablespoons of filling, lenghwise, in the centre. Roll like a cigar.
Enjoy as a mid afternoon snack or a dessert with tangy stewed fruit.