RECIPES - Sweets
HALWA - This is a beautiful breakfast dish served in India and Pakistan with pooris. Ideal for a quick after school snack.
1) Empty two cups semolina into a bowl and pour over 3 cups water; then mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla bean essence
2) Heat 1/2 cup ghee then fry 1/2 cup slivered almonds and 1/2 cup currants till the almonds are golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to semolina mixure.
3) Add 1 cup sugar to the remaining hot ghee and stir till the sugar caramelises and turns a redish brown.
4) Make sure the flame is low then pour in the semolina and nuts.
5) Stir, till the sugar and semolina form a mass and start to leave the sides.
6) Empty into a serving dish and flatten with a spatula. Then decorate with crushed nuts. Alternatively, serve directly into bowls.