Eggplant / Aubergine / Brinjal Fritters
Whether you prefer to call them eggplants, aubergines or brinjal, there's no doubt that this diverse vegetable can be prepared and enjoyed in different ways. This recipe is from Gujarat, a large vegetarian State in India.
Crispy and golden on the outside, and soft and mushy on the inside with ample of flavour thanks to the fresh ingredients and the addition of spices - our recipe for eggplant fritters will have your family eating them as soon as the fritters leave the frypan and before they have time to touch the plate!
- potatoes/sweet potatoes
- 3 medium-sized eggplants
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 4 spring onions
- 2 green chillies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons rice-flour
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 eggs
- Oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes (If you use sweet potatoes you will need approximately 10 minutes).
- Skewer eggplant and roast over open flame like you do for Baingan Bharta. Skin then set aside flesh.
- Mash the cooked chickpeas with the rice flour and plain flour.
- Finely chop the spring onions, green chillies and garlic cloves and add to the chickpea mixture.
- Mix in the cinnamon, cayenne, pepper and add salt to your taste.
- Beat the eggs and add to the mixture. Combine all the ingredients with a spoon.
- Heat a heavy frying pan on medium high. Add 2 tablespoons oil then a teaspoon of the mixture. Check to see if you need more salt or pepper.
- Then spoon in 4 fritters - Do not over-crowd the pan as the temperature will drop. Shallow fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels
- Serve with raiita or your favourite sauce