RECIPES - Drinks
TURMERIC LATTÉ (Haldi Doodh)
Long before cafes across the western world became obsessed with serving turmeric lattés to health-conscious, hip, yoga-going 20-somethings, Indian mothers, grandmothers and aunty-jis were lovingly preparing this Ayurvedic concoction and giving it to us kiddos when we came home sick from school, had a bad cough, or a headache, or felt feverish or for no other reason at all than it was good for us.
The recipe below makes 2 mugs
- 1/2 litre milk of your choice
- 1 1/2 tsps haldi
- 4-5 peppercorns or 1/2 teaspoon powder
- 3 - 4 whole cardamom (optional as it adds flavour and fragrance)
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or 3 - 4 thin slices of fresh ginger)
- Sugar (or honey) as per taste
Heat the milk and add all the ingredients at once. Bring to the boil at least 2-3 times before straining the milk and sipping its warmth and goodness from your mug.