RECIPES - Bread
UNLEAVENED BREAD (Chappati)
This is the most common bread made in India, each day. It goes well with vegetable dishes.
- Measure 2 level cups of atta (wheat flour available at Indian grocery stores) into a shallow pan
- Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil and 1 cup water and knead to a firm dough
- Cover with a moist cloth and let the dough rest for half an hour
- Divide the dough into 12 balls
- Dust a board with flour
- Roll out each ball into a circle that is about 6” or 15 cms
- Place on pan and roast each side for a few seconds till you see small brown spots appear
- Place in a covered (thermal) dish to keep warm till serving, spread a teaspoon of ghee.
- Best eaten immediately