- In a large mixing bowl gradually dissolve a 7 gram satchet of yeast (or knead with 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon soda bicarb) 2 teaspoons sugar with warm 100ml milk (30 seconds in a microwave)
- Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes in a warm place till it rises
- Stir in 150 g yoghurt, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 beaten egg, 1 teaspoon salt.
- Now gradually add 3 level cups (440 grams) plain flour and the previously prepared yeast (or 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon soda bicarb)
- Knead to a soft, smooth dough
- Cover with a moist cloth and let the dough rest for 2 hours - it should double in size
- Divide the dough into 8 balls
- Dust a board with flour
- Roll out each ball (very thin) into a circle that is about 6” or 15 cms. Alternatively you can work with your hands to make these into tear drop shapes.
- Place on heated tava/pan and roast each side for a few seconds till you see small brown spots appear. Alternatively preheat your oven to highest temperature. Place rolled Naans on to a baking tray on top of a pizza stone. Cook for 3 minutes
- Place in a covered (thermal) dish to keep warm till serving, spread a teaspoon of ghee/butter on each.
- Best eaten immediately with curry or garlic butter.