GOAN CHRISTMAS CAKE (Baatica)
Why would anyone refuse a piece of cake that tastes like a Bounty except without the chocolate? Our recipe for the traditional Goan Christmas Cake will have you baking a crumbly-on-the-outside, moist-and-dense-on-the-inside, not-overly-sweet kinda of cake that will be demolished at first smell.
Would we stop you from serving it with a drizzle of melted dark chocolate? Never!
RECIPE (we doubled this recipe to make the 3 cakes you see in the picture)
- In a heavy based casserole dish, boil 1/2 cup water with 500g sugar till the sugar dissolves
- Lower the heat, then add 250g butter
- when the butter melts turn off the stove then add 1 cup (250ml) milk, 250g semolina and 250g desiccated coconut
- Stir till the liquid is absorbed by the dry ingredients.
- Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Now whisk 6 eggs till light.
- When the mixture is cold add the beaten eggs.
- Rest for 3 hours minimum (overnight if possible), in the fridge.
- When ready to bake stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, 1 tsp ground cardamom (seeds from 10 pods), 1 tsp baking powder.
- Heat oven to 150C
- Line a baking pan with baking paper.
- Transfer the cake mixture into the pan then bake for 60 minutes, till golden brown.
We take this opportunity to wish you all a wonderful Christmas and a splendid time with your family and friends. We are very grateful for your support and encouragement.
May the New Year bring you good health and happiness in abundance.