RECIPE - Spinach Tambuli
This curry is made in Karnataka with Indian Borage leaves (Dodapatre / Karpooravalli) which have a distinct flavour and have several medicinal benefits. As these leaves are not available here in Australia, we substituted them with spinach.
The dish is super simple to make, light and very tasty. It is served as a first course of a South Indian meal with freshly steamed rice and some pickle.
You can substitute the spinach with any greens you like. Perhaps next time we might try Kale mixed with Green Peas for sweetness.
- Steam 150g Spinach leaves till just wilted. Allow to cool.
- Purée with 1/2 cup yoghurt, 1/4 cup desiccated coconut and 1 tsp salt.
- Pour this mixture into a serving bowl.
- Heat a small pan then add 1 tbsp ghee, 1 red dried chilli (we added about 4 because we like the heat) 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds start popping take the pan off the heat and add about 5 curry leaves. Swirl them around then pour this Tadka over the spinach purée.
- Serve immediately with freshly steamed rice.