Recipe - MORU (a Keralite yoghurt curry)
Vegetarians in India rely on lentils and dairy for their protein. Yoghurt and Buttermilk are an important part of each meal. Yoghurt is served as a drink Lassi and Buttermilk flavoured is Chaas. Yoghurt is an important part of a meal and is served in a salad (raiita) or in a curry. The north has Kadhi. The south - Kerala – offers Moru. This is an easy preparation that is served with rice, vegetables, papad and pickles.
- In a glass bowl mix together:
- 1 cup curd/yoghurt.
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
When ready to serve.
- Heat a pan on medium, then add 2 tbsp ghee, ½ tsp mustard seeds, and 3 dry red chillies or fresh green chillies.
- When the mustard starts to splutter add 1 tsp grated garlic and 8 curry leaves.
- Stir, on low heat, for about a minute.
- Then add in the curd mixture.
- Heat for a couple of minutes – do not boil.
Serve immediately, with rice and vegetables of your choice.