RECIPE - Kolambhi Bhaat - Prawn rice
From the State of Maharashtra on India's west coast, we bring you this delicious one pot meal that is quick and easy. Great way to use left-over rice.
- Apply 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric to 500g cleaned prawns.
- Heat a heavy based casserole dish/wok then add 2 tbps oil, 1 tsp cumin seed, 1" piece of cinnamon, 4 green cardamom pods, 4 cloves, and 4 bay leaves.
- On medium heat, stir-fry for a minute / till the cumin seeds turn golden.
- Then add 1 finely chopped onion, 3 fat cloves of grated garlic, 1 tsp grated ginger and stir-fry till the onions are translucent.
- Now add 400g chopped fresh/canned tomatoes and 1 tbsp Malwani curry spice powder. Cook, covered, on medium heat for 5 minutes till the tomatoes are soft and jammy.
- Add the prawns and cook, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the 3 cups cooked rice and 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with a fresh salad or Raita.
NOTE: you can turn this into a vegan recipe by substituting the prawns with vegetable (pumpkin, cauliflower, beans etc) of your choice.