KANJI (Punjabi Probiotic Drink)
This is a Punjabi probiotic drink although it is never referred to as such. It is served in hot summers and aids digestion.
- Peel 4 carrots and 1 large beet. Then chop into 3 inch/7cm batons
- Crush 1 tbsp mustard seeds in a mortar and pestle
- Pour 1.5 litres water and stir in 1 tbsp sea salt into a glass jar.
- Now add the prepared carrots, beet and mustard.
- Leave on a kitchen bench
- Stir with a wooden spoon everyday and taste
- When it has a tangy flavour the drink is fermented
- Strain and store in the fridge. Drink daily in small quantities.
The left-over vegetables can be used in a raiita or a curry.