RECIPE - Date and Walnut Cake
Do you have one of those recipes that is requested time and time again in your family and is stuck in your head so you don't need a recipe?
This is one of them at our home. I'm not sure whether it's the particular sweetness of dates, the crunch of the walnuts or the aromatic flavours of cardamom and nutmeg running through it that make it so loved. Perhaps it is all three. We are sure you and your family will enjoy it too.
- About an hour before you are ready to bake, deseed 1 cup of dates.
- Place the dates in a small pot with 1 cup of milk, 1 tsp ground cardamom, 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg and cook, uncovered for about 10 minutes/till the dates are soft and the milk is soaked in. Allow to cool.
- Chop 1/2 cup walnuts (cut one half into 6 pieces).
- When the dates are cool and you are ready to bake, heat your oven to 150C.
- Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- Cream 1 cup soft brown sugar with 125g butter.
- Add in 3 eggs and beat till mixed in.
- Add the cooled, cooked dates and 1/2 cup yoghurt. Mix thoroughly. (If using a food processor this just takes a minute).
- Now fold in, with a spatula, 2 cups self-raising flour and 1/2 a cup chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
You don't need any icing but we indulged our 4 year old grand-daughter as she was giving it to her mum on Mothers' Day!