RECIPE - AUBERGINE PICKLE
Love the flavour of a pickle but worried it might last for too long? Same here, so we make this aromatic and versatile Aubergine pickle in a small quantities. If you don’t like Aubergines substitute with carrots and cucumbers. This preparation goes well with any meal and is especially good in a sandwich. Make this dish the day prior to going on a picnic, then all you need to pack for a simple picnic meal is a bottle of wine, some good bread and cheese (optional).
- Slice 500g Aubergines into 8ths, lengthwise. Then each into 8ths again.
- Massage 4 tsp salt into the chopped aubergines and submerge in water. Set aside
- Heat a tawa/frying pan on medium heat, then add 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds and 1 tsp Cumin seeds.
- Roast, and as soon the seeds starts to splutter, take off the heat and place in a grinder.
- Add 6 dry red chillies, ½ tsp Turmeric powder, 1 tsp sea salt and grind till fine.
- Now add 25g peeled garlic cloves, 15g sliced ginger and ¼ cup water and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat a casserole dish then add ¼ cup mustard oil and ¼ cup vegetable oil.
- Now add in the ground spices and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
- Drain the aubergines and mix into the fried spices.
- Stir in ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 tbsp sugar.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir then cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off the stove and leave it covered.
Enjoy and thank us later.