RECIPE - AUBERGINE PICKLE
Love the flavour of a pickle but worried it might last for too long? Same here, so we make this aromatic and versatile Aubergine pickle in a small quantities. If you don’t like Aubergines substitute with carrots and cucumbers. This preparation goes well with any meal and is especially good in a sandwich. Make this dish the day prior to going on a picnic, then all you need to pack for a simple picnic meal is a bottle of wine, some good bread and cheese (optional).
- Slice 500g Aubergines* into 8ths, lengthwise. Then each length into thirds.
- Massage 4 tsp salt into the chopped aubergines and submerge in water. Set aside
- Heat a tawa/frying pan on medium heat, then add 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds and 1 tsp Cumin seeds.
- Roast on medium heat, and as soon the seeds starts to splutter, take off the heat immediately then place on a plate to cool.
- When cool add the roasted spices to a grinder, along with 6 dry red chillies, ½ tsp Turmeric powder, 1 tsp sea salt and grind till fine.
- Now to the same grinder add 25g peeled garlic cloves (6 fat cloves), 15g sliced ginger (1 thumb size) and ¼ cup water and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat a casserole dish then add ¼ cup mustard oil when you can smell the mustard add ¼ cup vegetable oil.
- Lower the flame to medium then add in the ground spices and stir-fry for a minute.
- Wash the grinder with another 1/2 cup water and add this to the fried spices. Simmer for a minute.
- Drain the aubergines and mix into the spice mixture.
- Stir in ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 tbsp sugar.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir then cook for another 5 minutes. Check seasoning.
- Allow to cool then refrigerate.
*if you don't have enough, add some finely sliced carrots.
Enjoy and thank us later.