RAJASTHANI MIRCHI VADAS
This tasty snack is made with simple ingredients, potato and mini peppers. They are best served warm so stuff them and set aside till ready to serve. Fry and serve immediately with Tamarind and Mint sauces.
These sauces are a must and can be made in a batch and frozen for reuse.
- Boil 2 large potatoes in salted water.
- When cool enough to handle, skin and mash.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee/2tbsp oil and fry 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. Cook on a medium flame till the mustard seeds splutter.
- Now add the mashed potato, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp asafoetida, 1 finely chopped green chilli and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add salt to taste and set aside.
- Now, de-stalk and halve 18 - 20 mini peppers.
- Fill the peppers with the potato filling. We made little balls with the left-over potato and deep fried them too.
- Mix together 2 cups Chickpea flour, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp soda bicarb, 1/2 tsp Turmeric, 1 tsp Ajwain, 1/2 tsp Pepper powder, 1/2 tsp Asafoetida, 1/2 tsp Cumin powder and 1 1/4 cup water.
When ready to serve dip stuffed peppers into batter and deep fry till golden brown.
Serve with Tamarind and Mint chutneys.