Nasu Dengaku Modified - Japanese Eggplant
It was a cold day so I thought of baking something.
Thanks to the Easter that just passed, there was too much chocolate around so I decided on the Japanese eggplant dish Nasu Dengaku.
I was missing some of the vital ingredients like Miso and Mirin so I made a marinade with corresponding flavours on hand.
1 tablespoon of each of the following:
UMAMI: Worcestershire (instead of Miso)
SOURNESS: White vinegar (instead of Mirin)
SWEETNESS: Sweet Chilli (instead of sugar)
The following ingredients are the same:
1 teaspoon of each of the following:
Then of course I wanted some heat so added 1 teaspoon of our Veggie Stir Fry spice blend.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Score eggplant (also added sweet potato)
- Apply salt to the Aubergine and set aside for half an hour minimum.
- When ready to cook apply oil to baking pan.
- Wash and pat dry Aubergine and place in pan with sliced sweet potato.
- Brush over the marinade
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes
- Garnish with Sesame seeds or your favourite herb.
I served it along with Coconut Rice and boy was it a delicious meal!