RECIPE - Palak Kadhi (Spinach and Yoghurt curry)
Kadhi is a popular Punjabi lunch time dish served with freshly boiled rice and Pakodas (onion bhajji). It is one of those complete meals that you can whip up with basic pantry and fridge staples. Bonus, if you are time poor this comes together in 20 minutes whilst your rice is getting ready.
This recipe is an adaptation in which Spinach is added for extra nutrition and instead of the onion bhajji which is standard we have used a Tadka with fried peanuts to replace the crunch.
- Whisk together 3 tablespoons Chickpea flour, 1 cup yoghurt, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp Turmeric till there are no lumps left. Then add 3 cups water (a little at a time) and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a heavy based pan on medium heat the add 1 tbsp Ghee and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. After they splutter, add 1/2 tsp Ajwain, 1/2 tsp Asafoetida, 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds, 1 clove of sliced garlic (optional), 5 Fenugreek seeds.
- Stir-fry on gentle heat for about 1 minute till the raw smell of the garlic disappears
- Now mix in 2 cups Spinach (we used baby spinach leaves).
- Gently slide in the yoghurt mixture.
- Allow to cook (uncovered), on gentle heat for 15 minutes.
- The Tadka - heat a small heavy based pan then pour in 2 tbsps Ghee, 2 tbsp raw peanuts.
- On medium heat, stir-fry for about 2 minutes till the peanuts are dark.
- Now add in 2 dry chillies, and 1/2 tsp asafoetida.
- Stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Pour the Tadka over the Yoghurt curry.
- Serve with freshly steamed Rice.