CHAAT CHUTNEYS (Tamarind and Mint)
These two chutneys are served with most snacks like Pakoras, Vadas and Chaat - Ragda Pattice, Sev Puri, Dhai Puri, Samosa Chaat, Bhel Puri and wherever you would like a mixture of tangy, minty and spicy flavours.
In a small saucepan cook for 1/2 hour on medium heat:
- 1 cup deseeded dates
- 1/4 cup tamarind
- 1/4 cup palm sugar
- 1 cup water
Strain, then add:
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder (adjust to your taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt (adjust to your taste)
- 1 tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
- enough water to get it to the consistency you would like
you can freeze this sauce for upto 3 months.
Mix together in a blender:
- 2 cups mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green chillies (adjust to your taste)
- 2 inch piece of root ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
This chutney will keep for about 3 days in the fridge. It has multiple uses so will not last long!