CHAAT CHUTNEYS (Tamarind and Mint)
These two chutneys are served with most snacks like Pakoras, Vadas and Chaat - Ragda Pattice, Sev Puri, Dhai Puri, Samosa Chaat, Bhel Puri and wherever you would like a mixture of tangy, minty and spicy flavours.
In a small saucepan cook for 1/2 hour on medium heat:
- 1/2 cup deseeded dates
- 100g tamarind tamarind
- 1/4 cup jaggery/palm sugar
- 2 cups water
Strain, then add another cup of water to the residue, mix and strain again.
Mix the following spices into the strained mixture:
- 1 tbsp Chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp chilli powder (adjust to your taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt (adjust to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
you can freeze this sauce for up to 3 months.
Mix together in a blender:
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 to 4 green chillies (adjust to your taste)
- 1 tsp Chaat masala
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 inch piece of root ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
This chutney will keep for about 3 days in the fridge. It has multiple uses so will not last long!