BREADS - Bhatura
- Mix ¾ cup (150ml) warm water (20 secs in the microwave) with 2 teaspoons dry yeast and 1tsp sugar.
- Set aside for 20 minutes/till it starts to froth.
- Empty 2 cups plain flour into a mixing bowl, add 4 tbsp semolina and 1 tsp salt and mix these dry ingredients together thoroughly.
- Now add the prepared yeast, 4 tbsp yoghurt and 2 tbsp oil
- Bring together lightly till it forms a ball, if necessary add a tbsp or two of water.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for about 4 hours
- Now divide into 8 parts.
- Form round balls
- Heat some vegetable oil (about 6 cm deep) in a wok
- To get fluffy bhaturas the oil needs to be really hot so test a small piece of dough – it will fluff up and float if the oil is hot enough.
- Dip one of the balls of dough into some flour. Now roll out the first bhatura into a large oval or round, don’t worry too much about the shape.
- Deep-fry each side till golden brown and puffy.
- Repeat steps 11 and 12 till all the bhaturas have been fried
- Serve immediately with your favourite veg or with Chickpeas as they do in the North West of India.