ALLE BELLE (Goan Crepes)
ALLE BELLE – makes 10
These delicious Gonn crepes are traditionally made on Shrove Tuesday. It signifies the last day of eating sweets before the period of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. As children we waited anxiously for lent to be over so we could enjoy this tea time treat again.
THE CREPE BATTER*
Into a blender, pour in:
- 120 ml water (room temperature)
- 180 ml full crem milk
- 1/8th spoon salt
- 1 level tbsp. sugar*
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract*
- 125g plain flour
Mix till all the ingredients are blended.
Place in the fridge for a minimum of ½ hour – longer is fine
In the meantime, in a small casserole pan empty:
- ¼ cup water
- 100g palm sugar
- 100g grated coconut
- 1/8th of a nutmeg, grated
- the seeds from 3 cardamom pods ground fine
Cook till the palm sugar melts, then set aside to cool.
MAKING THE CREPES
- Heat an 8” non stick pan
- Lightly oil it with a brush
- Then measure 4 tbsp. of the batter into a cup
- When the pan is heated pour in the batter
- Swirl the batter around so the surface of the pan is covered
- Cook for a minute
- Transfer to a large plate
- Repeat steps 2 to 7 again till all the batter is used up.
FILLING THE CREPES – do this step in the minute you have while the crepe is cooking.
- Place 2 tbsp of filling to the left of the middle of the crepe
- Fold over the edges to form an envelope
*Use this batter for savoury pancakes by replacing the tbsp. of sugar with ½ tbsp mixed herbs; the vanilla with ½ tsp pepper. For a filling use a savoury mince meat or some tinned tuna fried with onions, garlic and chilli.