RECIPES - UPMA (savoury semolina)
SAVOURY SEMOLINA (Upma)
This is a great quick snack which can be whipped up in around 20 minutes. You can use mixed frozen vegetables, or any fresh veggies of your choice. In India, Upma is enjoyed as a breakfast item.
- Heat a heavy-base pan, then add 1 cup semolina. Stir gently on a low flame till it smells fragrant and the semolina turns a light brown colour. Set aside on a plate.
- Now heat 2 tbsps ghee/oil and add ½ tsp mustard seeds. As soon as they start popping add 1 small finely chopped onion, 1 finely chopped green chilli (or red chilli flakes) and about 5 curry leaves, 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds. Stir on gentle heat till the onions soften.
- Add ½ tsp asafoetida, ½ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp roughly chopped cashew pieces (or desiccated coconut) and stir fry on gentle heat for 30 seconds.
- Then add 1 baby carrot finely chopped, 1/4 corn kernels and 1/4 cup green peas, stir gently.
- Cook covered for about 1 minute.
- REDUCE THE FLAME TO LOW.
- Then add 2 cups freshly boiled hot water.
- Finally, stir in the roasted semolina. As soon as the water is absorbed your breakfast/snack/light lunch is ready.