RECIPES - Veggies
SAVOURY SEMOLINA (Upma)
This is a great quick snack.
- Heat a heavy-base pan, then add 1 cup semolina. Stir gently on a low flame till it smells fragrant and the semolina turns a light brown colour. Set aside on a plate.
- Now heat 2 dessertspoons ghee/oil and add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds. As soon as they start popping add 1 small finely chopped onion, 1 finely chopped green chilli (or broken pieces of red chilli) and about 5 curry leaves, 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds. Stir on gentle heat till the onions soften.
- Add ½ teaspoon asafoetida, ½ teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon roughly chopped cashew pieces (or desiccated coconut), some green peas (optional), stir gently.
- Then add 2 cups freshly boiled hot water. and REDUCE THE FLAME TO LOW
- Finally, stir in the roasted semolina. As soon as the water is absorbed your breakfast/snack/light lunch is ready.