RECIPES - Gajar Ka Halwa
It is not an understatement to claim that, every now and then you come across a dessert that changes your life. It could be the velvety sensation, the pops of sweetness or its aroma dancing through your home that makes this dessert a cut above the rest.
Gajar Ka Halwa is that kind of dessert. Red carrots (these are sweeter and available in India during the winter season) are grated and cooked in clarified butter (ghee) until the nutty flavour of the ghee has become one with the carrots. This is then slowly simmered in milk, sweetened condensed milk as well as some cardamom pods until the liquid has dissolved.
We leave it up to you to add nuts and dried fruit or whether to enjoy it hot or cold. One thing is for sure - you will have a newfound appreciation for carrots after trying our recipe below.
- 1 kg carrots
- 6 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- 1 Tin condensed milk (400g)
- 1/2 cup full fat milk
- Sugar to taste
- 6/8 cardamom pods
- 1 cup dried fruit
- 1 cup mixed chopped nuts (pistachios, slivered almonds, cashews)
- Wash, peel and grate carrots.
- Place in a saucepan with the ghee and sauté on a high heat for approximately 10 minutes until tender.
- Add milk and condensed milk, sugar and cardamom seeds. Turn down the heat.
- Simmer until the liquid evaporates.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Stir in nuts and fruit. Turn off the stove.
- Line a 10” square baking tray.
- Empty the halwa into the tray and press down with a spatula until it is flat and even all the way across the tin.
- When cool, leave in the fridge to chill overnight.
- Slice to your own requirements and serve chilled with cream or ice cream. Enjoy !
Recipe created and tested by: Freda Shafi