DOI BEGUN – Niramish (Aubergines in a Yoghurt sauce)
This classic Bengali dish is made on any Pooja day when abstinence from garlic and onion is called for. It is so simple to make yet delicious so we are sure you will make this recipe part of you repertoire especially if you are on a FODmap diet.
- In a glass bowl whisk together: 2/3 cup yoghurt, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp besan (chickpea flour), 1 tsp chilli powder, ½ turmeric powder, 2 tsp sugar and ½ tsp salt. Set aside to bring it to room temperature.
- Slice a large aubergine, lengthwise into quarters, along with the stem.
- Sprinkle the sliced aubergine with ½ tsp salt, ½ sugar, 1 tsp chilli powder and ½ tsp Turmeric and set aside.
- Heat a pan, then add about 4tbsp mustard oil (or any vegetable oil).
- Pan fry the aubergines, about 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In the same pan, on a low flame, stir-fry ¼ tsp cumin seeds, 3 Green Cardamom, 2 Cloves, 1 Bay leaf, ½ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp grated ginger, and 2 sliced green chillies, for about 1 minute.
- Now add the yoghurt mixture and cook, on medium heat, for a further 2 minutes.
- Gently place (hold by the stalk) the fried eggplant into the yoghurt sauce.
- Simmer for about a minute to allow the flavours to meld.
- Serve immediately with rice or any type of flatbread.