APPLE / MANGO CHUTNEY
EASY APPLE/MANGO CHUTNEY
This is a great accompaniment to an Indian meal. You can also slather it over any baked/grilled vegetables or protein. Try it on some crackers with cheese or add to a meat loaf for that extra oomph.
- Peel, core and chop 4 red apples (or 600g semi ripe mango pieces).
- Sprinkle with the juice of ½ lemon to avoid it getting dark.
- Heat a heavy base pot then add 2 tbsp of your favourite oil.
- Add the previously chopped apples/mango, 2 tsps of our Kerala Fish Curry spice (or Cayenne pepper), 1 tsp grated ginger, ½ tsp salt and ¼ cup apple cider vinegar.
- Simmer, covered, for ½ an hour.
- Puree ¾ of the mixture with an immersion blender.*
- Now add ¼ cup sugar and cook, with a lid on gentle heat, for a further 10 minutes.
- Adjust salt, sugar and vinegar to your taste.
- Ladle into a clean jar.
- Store in the fridge or freezer – should keep well for a month.
*we only puree ¾ of the chutney as we like to reserve a few pieces for texture