Tavas and some Woks are made from cast iron which helps to retain heat and produce an even temperature. However, they need to be seasoned before use. Here are some easy steps:
1. wash the tava/wok then wipe dry.
2. Pour a tablespoon of oil and then rub the oil over with an onion cut in half.
3. Turn it over and do the same on the underside.
4. Heat the pan and let it cook on medium heat for 5 minutes
5. When it cools rinse in hot water
6. Wipe dry with a paper towel
After use always rinse with hot water and wipe dry. Then smear some vegetable oil with a paper towel and store in a bag to keep away from dust.
NEVER wash it with soap or scrub it with a pad. If you do so, you will have to season it again!